2016-2017 Legislative Agenda
- Oppose any motorcycle- or rider-based discriminatory and
anti-gang legislation, rules or other governmental action proposed by
the Georgia General Assembly or by a state agency.
- Support the amendment or passage of legislation that will
impose tougher penalties for drivers who kill a motorcyclist while
committing a moving violation.
- Arm prosecutors with greater legal options for prosecuting
distracted road users who cause crashes that result in great bodily
harm or death.
- Amend legislation to allow motorcyclists to use headsets, headphones or earbuds for any purpose, not just communications.
- Educate legislators and government officials about the
importance of allowing the safe operation of a motorcycle or bicycle
through an inoperative traffic-control signal.
- Support efforts by legislators and other organizations to
repeal or modify the mandatory helmet law allowing helmet use to be a
- Support the passage of legislation that will legalize Lane Filtering in Georgia.
- Promote use of and the availability of ethanol free fuel across the state.
- Support governmental action that enhances motorcycle use on Georgia public roads.
- Ensure the inclusion of motorcycles in ongoing state transportation safety and development plans.
- Pursue safer roadway repair and design strategies at the municipality and state levels.
- Lower the cost of Motorcycle Rider License-Waiver Courses in
the State of Georgia by restoring State funding for the Georgia
Motorcycle Safety Program.
- Monitor private and public organizations that oppose ABATE of Georgia’s legislative agenda or mission.
- Support the legislative and government relations agendas of
partner organizations including the Motorcycle Riders Foundation, the
American Motorcyclist Association and other State Motorcycle Rights
Other ResourcesFind Your Local Representative and Senate MembersABATE of Georgia Legislative Survey, August 2012ABATE of Georgia State Legislative Page
Quick Reference: List of Georgia Motorcycle Laws (Courtesy of AMA)
For a National Perspective: Motorcycle Riders Foundation Website
President Obama Calls for Mandatory Helmet Laws Across the Nation (courtesy of MRF)
American Motorcyclists Association
Steve Murrin, The Original Biker Lawyer - ABATE of Georgia's Legal Advisor: www.americanbikerlawyer.comLawBike.com (this is not an endorsement of atty. Charles W. Watwood, Jr., but it is an excellent resource)